SoniCity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoniCity

Sonic The Hedgehog BG Forum

ИндексЗбИжЗИЙТърсенеПоследни снимкиРегистрирайте сеВход

Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008)

Go down 
3 posters
АвторСъобщение
Sonic_P
Admin
Admin
Sonic_P

Male Брой мнения : 818
Registration date : 17.09.2007

Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008) Empty
ПисанеЗаглавие: Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008)   Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008) Icon_minitimeСря Фев 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008) 1202490059928bentleyjones

Sonic City grabs singer of "Dreams Of An Absolution" Bentley Jones for a quick chat about his re-naming, remixes, future projects and new album.

ArchangelUK: Hi Bentley thanks for talking with Sonic City, since you left Remix Factory you seem to have changed your name - why was that?

Bentley Jones: It was time for a reinvention… I wanted to approach my album with a clean slate and the best way to do that was to make a clear distinction between my previous work and my latest. It also allows me to separate myself from work when it starts to get to me - which can happen from time to time when your job is so consistently involved.

AAUK: I'd imagine that would make you a pretty busy boy then?

BJ: Yeah but it's cool. I've been given the freedom to take my time and get everything right and I'm much happier for it. I'd much rather be crazy busy than be sitting around with nothing to do.

AAUK: That's good to hear. You obviously gained a lot of popularity and fans amongst the SEGA fan base with Dreams Of An Absolution, Silver's theme from Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) - first of all why "Dreams of an Absolution"? Did you know much of Silver's looks or character when you wrote it?

BJ: I was sent some material from the game in progress so the song could be inspired by the character and narrative. It was great writing for a new character - you start to get attached to them as you see them develop later on in the series. Shadow and Silver are my babies! ^_^

AAUK: Of course, because you (with Remix Factory) produced the Doc. Robeatnix Mix of E.G.G.M.A.N for Shadow The Hedgehog didn't you?

BJ: Yes we did along with a couple of others. "Shadow" was the first game we worked on. It was a very exciting time at the Remix Factory, there was a lot going on - remixes were charting at number 1 and in the top 10 and we were branching out into original music as well as video-games.

AAUK: Many fans seem to feel DOAA was one of the best things to come out of the game; did the reaction to the track surprise you?

BJ: I never know what to expect when I put a track out, you can never take your listeners for granted. I always listen to feedback and take it very seriously so I can cater my next piece and give listeners what they want (hopefully!). But DOAA took me by huge surprise - considering the other great artists who were on the soundtrack I was amazed that I got so much attention. It's been very insightful and the Sonic fan base have been nothing but supportive.

AAUK: Did you know that a WIP file for DOAA was found within the game?

BJ: I did hear about that. I was just surprised people took the time to hack the game! There must be some hardcore Sonic fans out there… Of course I don't endorse such things but its impressive none-the-less.

AAUK: Before we can leave the subject of DOAA, out of curiosity whatever became of the K-Klub mix? All anyone ever heard was 3min track that cut off rather abruptly I think.

BJ: It was a preview; the full-length mix is over 6 minutes long I think. I'm not entirely sure what's happened to it to be honest… it was done for promo with the other mixes but had limited use. You never know if it might surface again though.

AAUK: I hope so, that was a rocking mix. So what was it like hearing your music in an actual Sonic game?

BJ: Bizarre to begin with, but very cool! It was completely different to hearing my music on the radio or in a club. The first time I heard it in a game I didn't realise! 20 seconds later I was thinking "that music sounds awfully familiar…"

AAUK: Are you a long term Sonic fan?

BJ: On and off, yes. I used to sneak around to my mates house to play his Mega-Drive since I didn't have one! That was way back in '91 so it must have been the first "Sonic the Hedgehog".

AAUK: Who are your influences musically?

BJ: Hehe… we could be here a while… ^_^ At the moment, being so involved with the album I'm experimenting with different tastes. I'm pretty diverse as it is and because my 'sound' is a fusion of several genres I take my inspiration from various places. At the moment I'm listening to rock bands like Paramore and 30 Seconds to Mars.

On the other end of the scale I'm also really into J-pop at the moment and producers like HAL who does work with Ayumi Hamasaki who I also admire. I've covered one of her songs for the Japanese edition of the album. There's lots in between though too from Timbaland to Girls Aloud to Mika to Robyn.

I was sad to hear the news about Ayumi losing her hearing in her one ear. On the one hand it's great she's finally grabbed international headlines but it's a shame it's because of such tragic news. Was very happy to hear she's carrying on though. …That was quite a tangent, wasn't it?!

AAUK: You're obviously very passionate about your music is all I can say! Who would be your dream artist to collaborate with?

BJ: Hmm… good question… maybe Robyn? She seems a really interesting artist. Ayumi or Utada Hikaru? The combination of cultures would be really interesting. I'd love to clash two genres together too… like working with a hip-hop artist or a rock band… there's a handful of producers I'd like to work with too. Ray Hedges, Dr. Luke, Xenomania… so many ideas, so little time!

AAUK: What do you like to do to relax?

BJ: If I get chance I like to hang out with my friends. I take those opportunities as they come because my time off is pretty random, and of course they all have their own lives and jobs. If I'm at home or with my family I like to play video-games, sometimes with my brother. If, for some strange reason, I'm feeling pretty energetic I'll go for a run or go swimming - both of which are pretty good for working off tension and relaxing.

AAUK: What's your favourite console… and who wins more often than not, you or your brother?

BJ: I don't get chance to play games as often as I'd like so I haven't had chance to properly experience the latest-gen consoles. In the studio I have an Xbox 360 and a Dreamcast for times when inspiration isn't quite in arm's reach! ^_^ I'm looking forward to messing with the Wii though, that looks so much fun!! And as for my brother… it depends what we're playing… sporting games and first-person-shooters he always beats me - he's an evil so-and-so at "Halo"! But platformers and driving games I tend to win more - mostly because I strongly believe you should use your brakes as little as possible, even at the expense of that nice new body kit you've spending hours gathering credit for…

AAUK: Ha, so what would you say was the last Sonic game you played?

BJ: I've had second-hand experience of Sonic & The Secret Rings but I haven't actually played it myself yet. In terms of the latest Sonic game I've played it would probably be Sonic the Hedgehog on the 360. But in terms of the last Sonic game… I popped Sonic Adventure 2 in the other day for nostalgic purposes.

AAUK: Sonic Adventure 2 just never stops being fun I find.

BJ: Yeah, I liked both the Adventure games.

AAUK: Would you like to do more collaborative works with SEGA in the future - possibly more Sonic tunes?

BJ: I love video-games and I've had so much fun working on Sonic, of course I'd like to do more. I love what I'm doing at the moment and all the artists that I'm working with but I'd also like to take on another game project. I'm greedy like that. ^_^

AAUK: You've just released, FINALLY we might add, the remix of Open Your Heart from Sonic Adventure on the "True Blue" compilation album. Tell us about that.

BJ: Haha!! That was done in such a whirlwind. I touched base with Jun (Senoue) in LA and wrote all the new sections while I was still there. On the way back I managed to get a stomach bug so I was feeling pretty rough with jetlag thrown into the mix. I hadn't managed to get any sleep and had just over a day to get the mix finished within the deadline, but somehow it was done. I was huddled up against the mic wrapped in a blanket sipping hot menthol - it was pretty hilarious to watch. But I'm really really pleased with how it turned out. Especially a classic song such as Open Your Heart.

AAUK: People seem rather pleased about the track and the album generally - especially the final four remix tracks, I'm happy to report. So with that in mind, what Sonic track take would take your fancy? Maybe something from Sonic Adventure 2 given your fondness for it?

BJ: Hehe… I'd love to say but I might give something away about future projects. Which, by saying that, I already have really, haven't I? ^_^

AAUK: Let the rumour mill commence! So this new album of yours - what's it called and what can people expect on it?

BJ: It's called "One Hand High" because it sort of has a "carry on regardless" tone to it. It's about shrugging off people's prejudices and preclusions of you and doing your own thing. I've combined all my past musical experiences into my sound so there are various elements that different people are bound to be familiar with. It has a very current electro-pop vibe going on but with more guitars so it has a rougher, rockier edge. I'm very proud of it and I'm really excited about performing the songs in the near future.

AAUK: And when can we expect to see a release?

BJ: My management are talking to several labels at the moment so a release date will hopefully be confirmed soon. In the meantime I'll be doing lots of gigs. Since this is an international project there's a lot to take care of - there are even multi-lingual versions of tracks flying around! All good fun though. Singing in Japanese is such a laugh! It can be hard work but it's worth it in the end - the Japanese language sounds beautiful in music.

AAUK: Well we look forward to seeing that, thanks once again for talking with us Bentley and we'll look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Върнете се в началото Go down
Mart the Hedgehog
Average
Average
Mart the Hedgehog

Male Брой мнения : 741
Registration date : 29.06.2007

ПисанеЗаглавие: Re: Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008)   Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008) Icon_minitimeПет Фев 15, 2008 4:37 pm

На български информация нямаш ли?
Valion
Pure Soul
Pure Soul

Male Брой мнения : 300
Registration date : 08.01.2008

ПисанеЗаглавие: Re: Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008)   Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008) Icon_minitimeНед Мар 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Ей нали учиш английски.Все пак като на бг няма-няма
Sponsored content

ПисанеЗаглавие: Re: Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008)   Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008) Icon_minitime

Bentley Jones Interview (08.02.2008)
Върнете се в началото 
Страница 1 от 1